Instead, I found myself faced once again trying to deal with and heal from yet another tragedy. Lexi, who as many of you know was due to have her pups in mid November lost her litter. And with that I lost Lexi. I was and remain devastated though each day is slightly easier. Staying busy helps and for a change I've been happy to go to work in order to keep my mind busy. My life basically came to a standstill for a few days with the exception of doing that which had to be done... Honestly, I wasn't sure if I should share my heartbreak or not. I'm still not sure sharing is the right step to take but in the end, and keeping with transparency, I decided each of you should probably know. While I and her Vet aren't sure exactly what what happened, it is known that her death was a result of both acute kidney and liver failure. Why her organs failed is not known but is assumed, due to the rapid course, to have been related to some sort of toxin. Unfortunately I have no idea what it could have been. My other dogs who travel the same circles are perfectly fine. There was some concern due to her symptoms and the course of her illness that it could have been Leptospirosis. For that reason alone, as well as the obvious, I found it difficult to blog. Unfortunately, Dr McBride isn't in the office on Wednesdays... when I noticed Lex spotting Wednesday morning after a non specific but "off" day Tuesday I immediately called the office. I was referred to Dr McDaniels, another reproductive specialist, in Lake Alfred. Unfortunately I had to wait until the afternoon to be seen and once there, it was obvious Lex had declined dramatically through the course of our trip. She passed quietly as I stroked her head and gently massaged her ear just a few short hours later. At the end of the day I was left to wonder and to suffer the loss of a very much loved member of my family who's life at just 4 and a half was cut way to short. I was also left to question whether or not the cause of Lexi's death could in any way have implications that would impact my current litter. Regarding the Leptospirosis, the original lab work at the clinic was positive. Having been vaccinated against the disease though, a positive would be the expected result. Considering all other animals in the home, a decision was made to send a sample for differentiation. Fortunately that report came back negative for the actual disease and as I write tonight, I've been advised and assured by both Doctors McBride and McDaniels that I can feel confident in releasing the litter. I'm sorry I've had to post this news. When adding a pup to ones home, the last thing people want to think about is death and now we've had two. If anyone has any concerns, I feel ready now to talk and would be happy to address any questions you may have. Just know, I would never release a pup for another to grow to love if I had any concern regarding it's health.