I don't really expect any major issues here, just inconveniences. The house is block and two story. The dogs and I live on the 1st which gives me some peace of mind, It's nice to know we have a buffer in the event one of the numerous trees we've got decides to give up on life and come crashing down on us. The other main concern is loss of power due to the blasted trees here as well as all around the general area. Since we're on a well, no power also means no water. No water and lots of animals needing it isn't a good scenario. And unfortunately they predict if, or most likely when, we loose it it may be an extended period before it's restored.
Yesterday I took the time to empty, clean and refill my jacuzzi. That gives me 450 gallons to work with for the horses. I also filled a bunch of storage bins that can be used for cleaning etc and the dogs and I will drink bottled once their rather large outdoor pails run dry.
My concerns seem trivial when I consider the concerns many of you must be feeling. Looking at the list over half of you waiting for a pup reside on the east coast. I realize for some of you, this hurricane could be a life changing event. Hopefully most are far enough inland to escape too much damage but listening to the reports is not very reassuring.
If any of you recall, we discussed a second deposit would be due when the pups were born which would secure your position for selection. Generally I would have sent the invoices out by now but on top of getting myself prepared for the storm, I wanted to wait and see what Matthew did and what the storm might mean for each of you. If any of you find yourselves needing to hold off on a pup due to circumstances I will certainly understand but please let me know if that will be the case as soon as possible. As it stands I have one available female as her depositor has had an unexpected situation develop and called to see about transferring deposit to a pup from Remedy's spring litter. I take deposits for a reason of course but first and foremost the pups are my main concern. I want them to get off on the right foot.
Anyway..... as far as the pups go, they're doing great! I weighed them all today and will post their weights next. Typically, I do a weigh in at about day three but I can tell just by looking at the litter that no one is falling behind. The girls are smaller than the boys but each has grown rapidly. According to DPCA regarding growth, pups should essentially double their weight over the course of their first week and that's pretty close to what we've got.
I'll try and get some fresh photos of them tonight. If not tonight, I expect to be stuck inside tomorrow allowing me lots of time with the camera. Whether or not I'll have power to upload is questionable... but I'll have the photos regardless.
I wish all of you the best and hope you fare well over the course of the next few days!